Are you fully living?
This is a screenshot from a video I shot at the park of Olivia and her best friend. The video is 00:07:37 minutes long and there are three more just like it. In others, the girls twirl up tight on the swings and then spin around in a fit of giggles. They played for over two hours. Most of the time we were the only ones in the park. This sweet moment was 00:05:53 into the film.
I have watched this video a handful of times now. To be honest, it's pretty meditative and I've been playing it in the background as I work. The girls, their laughter, the creaky sound of the metal swings, their friendship, conversation, and you can almost hear the soft sun shining through. I often wonder how magic happens and how much of the time it doesn't, or it does, but I miss it. What makes some moments come alive, I think about this a lot. I need to. These moments, strung together, are the whole of life.
How to live, fully.
• Question life. Questions are catalysts for change. They open up the world, challenge us, make us think and grow.
• Cause wonder. Create moments of awe. Asking a question causes wonder. So does stargazing or watching kids swing. Try it.
• Don't answer. Live the questions. Let the answers find you. The asking distills what's important, then the answers rise to the top. Scoop them up.
• Lose your balance. Life is moving, let go and embrace change. Even better, seek it. Nothing makes us feel more alive than a change on the horizon.
• Stand at the center. At the center of all movement there is stillness. Position yourself there. Chaos is always better from this vantage point.
• Live in-between. It's called liminality. Let go of your stance, don't get stuck being defined. Open up, embrace not knowing.
• Be patient. Everything ripens in it's own time. Cease the moment, but believe in eternity.
• Be present. Dive into now. Have a look around.
• Find acceptance. This is really the key to everything in life. To being at peace with yourself, to being present in the moment, you must find this. Dig deep.
• Practice gratitude. Say thank you, everyday.
Do you have those moments when time melts away and you're perfectly content exactly where you are now? Want to have more of these moments? Me too. Let's figure out how! Share your tips.
Here's to fully living your week. xx